New to the Role-Play -HELP PLEASE-

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New to the Role-Play -HELP PLEASE-

Post by Corvus Corax on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Hello, I'm curious as to where the character creation template can be found. If someone would kindly link me to it I'd be grateful. Also, if there are any character creation guidelines I'd also appreciate being linked to it. Thank you.
Corvus Corax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New to the Role-Play -HELP PLEASE-

Post by IGankMid on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:44 pm

Heya! Welcome to the board!

There are no firm guidelines as to how to go about creating a character. Currently we're testing a new stat-based system for resolving fights, but some of us don't use it, instead preferring to write things out like a story.

Are you interested in using stats, or are you looking to use more of a free-form writing style for your characters?

Secondly, as for creating a character, it's best to follow the sign-up sheet basics. Here are the things you should cover when creating a character:

-Name
-Race
-Appearance (Usually incorporates facial description, hair, body type, notable features, clothes they usually wear, etc)
-Brief Biography
-Abilities and Techniques

Proper formatting makes things easier to read, of course.

IGankMid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corvus Corax on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Are my abilities/techniques limited only by my imagination, then? I haven't role-played on a forum in some time. Also, can I just create a race or are they rooted in the lore of this universe? If the races are rooted in the site's lore could you link me to some informative threads? What about story/setting? This kind of information will help me create a character.
Corvus Corax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IGankMid on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:05 pm

I leave the lore to cerindclvr, but it isn't that complicated. Here is the topic on a different forum that started this, and the only thing that is really considered "core" to the setting: http://forum.oneclickchicks.com/showthread.php?t=78414

To sum up:

-Queen Syndra has set up stripping gladiator games in Enferia's capital city as a kind of bread and circuses thing for the populace as well as to punish criminals and allow gladiators to compete for glory

-Races are standard fantasy fare, go ahead and create your own. Though if you're wondering if something might or might not fit the tone of the setting, go right ahead and ask.

-Abilities and stuff are only limited by your imagination. Magic is very flexible here, I fought a woman who could warp space-time to trick people.

I'll repost a message I got from cerindclvr describing it:

Hmm, the main reason the arena runs is due to the whim of Queen Syndra, who frequents Enferia's largest source of entertainment. People who offend the queen or break her laws are often thrown into the arena to pay off their debts, though free people sometimes compete to earn money and fame or to please the almighty queen. Her mystery is only exceeded by her power, lol, I think is how the saying goes. One of the only things someone can say about her for sure is that she loves to see people humiliating each other. The rest of the time she's haughty and withdrawn.

There's a large, magical glass sphere suspended above the arena that acts almost like a crystal ball -- think of it like a giant screen for the crowd that shows close ups of the action. It's called the viewing sphere. Super creative name, I know. XD It's implied that it's 'vision' is granted by an unseen director in the announcer's box. Aloysius, the announcer, is somewhere between a sports commentator (maybe more along the lines of a professional wrestling announcer) and a strip club DJ. His main purpose is to point out humorous moments and add a level of embarrassment by pointing out the obvious.

And yes, combatants are literally incapable of being harmed. Spankings might sting because they're not actually doing much harm, and a punch to the gut might only knock the wind out of you, but if someone's hit by ball of flame they're going to look comically singed, at worst. Their clothes, of course, suffer the normal effects.

IGankMid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corvus Corax on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:10 pm

I really appreciate the assistance. I look forward to role-playing with you all.
Corvus Corax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IGankMid on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:12 pm

IGankMid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:14 am

Welcome...the only things that haven't flown as "races" are dragonkind and other types that barely resemble humans. We have a half kobold (from the kind of kobolds that were doggy, early D&D), a half-plus Orc, and a faunus that is a catlike woman. I can't speak for Cerindclvr except to mention discussions we already had--it should have a fairly humanish head/body, a little deviation from that's OK, but it was decided dragonkind strayed a little too far.

We're actually pretty laid back for the most part, so don't be too concerned!
Myds6

View user profile http://myds6.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cerindclvr on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:56 am

^

What they all said, hehe. Welcome!
If you have any specific questions or things you're uncertain about, shoot me or any of these awesomely helpful people a message. One thing that I noticed no one mentioned (due to its highly implicit nature) is that all the combatants in the arena are female.

I think a good guideline for exotic races is that they should definitely be more human than not -- furries or dragonkin haven't really made any appearances so far. The 'cat girl' trope is a good guideline of course -- ears, tail, and catlike mannerisms are juuust fine. Once again though, objections are really rare and if someone really wanted to do a character like that, I'd hope we'd find someone who was into that to accommodate them ^_^

tl;dr: we're all super friendly and fairly easy. my recommendation is to use the other characters here as a guideline for how to build yours.
cerindclvr
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cerindclvr on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 pm

...any questions so far? Or interest? Or did we scare you off? XD
cerindclvr
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down