A few modest proposals

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A few modest proposals

Post by Myds6 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:53 pm

I've just been thinking about how to handle certain things. We want to keep the system rules lean and easy to remember, but I wanted to put in writing some common sense things that have been taking care of themselves so far, but might be useful to have written if anyone new comes along.

One thing that I have noticed is that we might need to standardize the way we deal with nonessential clothing items--i.e. the items that characters have for plot or ability reasons or just because of real-world logic (e.g. did she go into the adventure shoeless? I doubt it. How about neck or shoulder armor?). The reason these probably shouldn't be given durability stats like the other clothing items, is that being nude with boots on or gloves on wouldn't really mitigate the embarrassment. So I suggest we handle this in a few ways, all outside the realm of dice rolls:

1) Leave 'em there: Because Having your mittens or boots on when the rest of the clothing is gone might be extra embarrassing. Items that give special abilities (e.g. Annie's Golem Arm Pack, Jamie's hat, Niniane's pie satchel) or are necessary for plot obviously shouldn't lightly (at all?) be removed from a character by the GM, at least until a battle is over. and then only temporarily.

2) Just narrate their removal without them counting for any points--just part of the description. Cerinclvr did a really nice job with Halia's boots lately on this front. It can just add some spice to the storytelling, as long as everyone knows it isn't really affecting the equipment points pool.

Just on another note, we should try to get our total number of equipment points to match the rules, but occasionally might want to vary from that format a little here or there. I just did it for Irlana's dress, and to make sure I was being fair, I made sure it reduced her overall number of equipment points rather than increasing them, and distributed those fewer points only slightly differently. I would not want to suggest that we disadvantage our own characters overmuch, but that should be less controversial than adding an unfair advantage. I did something similar with her magic--her stats swap, so when her magic makes her strong, her thinking is impaired and her Int becomes normal.
Myds6

View user profile http://myds6.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: A few modest proposals

Post by cerindclvr on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:08 pm

I like your thinking here. Non-essential clothing items generally aren't counted towards clothing totals (boots and gloves being great examples), and I agree that someone manages to look more naked when they have these things on but nothing else.

I've been meaning to give the rules a once-over and update anything that strikes me as imbalanced based on our findings these past few months, but I haven't been able to find the time. I plan to work on that pretty soon, though.

All that aside, I wanna mention how much I've appreciated everyone's participation here. It's been a lot of fun running and participating in adventures and duels, and I think everyone has brought something unique to the table. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on the current state of balance or even general thoughts, this wouldn't be a bad thread in which to post them!
cerindclvr
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:45 pm

A few more things...targeting in a group--if we do that group thing again, each side's action would be simultaneous, and you could only attack he target you named, not "trample" (to use magic the gathering terms) on to the next opponent when the one you targeted is down. Also, if we're going to have abilities that don't take up your turn, let's limit that use to one per character per turn.

Also, if fighting in groups like adventures etc, we need to consider the balance for Area of Effect spells and abilities--no ideas on that right now, except that they either exist or don't and we should all be aware one way or the other.
Myds6

View user profile http://myds6.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum