Enferia Adventures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Annie's Little Alcove

3 posters

Go down

Annie's Little Alcove Empty Annie's Little Alcove

Post by Big Mara Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Just one night after her all-too-eventful match in the arena, Annie Everest could be found sitting in a quiet, secluded corner of the Ripped Bodice, nursing a fruity cocktail all alone. The bartender had told her it was called a "stiff nipple", then laughed as she'd handed a blushing Annie a bright glass full of rum, iced strawberries, and sweet liquor. It was quite tasty, even if the name was a bit ribald.

Tapping one boot idly underneath the table, Annie peered around the room with curious eyes, taking measure of the crowd that night; no one unusual, from what she could tell. It was a bit slow, but the dinner rush had just ended, and the midnight crowd wouldn't be in for a few hours yet.

Nothing to do but drink and enjoy the atmosphere for the time being, but Annie didn't mind that much. Of course, some enjoyable company would be very much appreciated.

Big Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Annie's Little Alcove Empty Re: Annie's Little Alcove

Post by Myds6 Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:30 pm

An unusually bright attire caught her eye.  She recognized it as the robes of one of the prestigious academies for mages that existed outside of Enferia.  Her eyes were drawn from the bright color, to the wearer's large breasts, up to her young face, framed by brown hair.  Annie studied her like she would any other specimen.  Her large brown eyes looked friendly, but troubled.  One could tell from her face that she was clearly intelligent, but, where Annie's intelligence expressed itself in a quiet, reserved way, she was a bit more obstinate, a nonconformist Annie guessed, by the nose ring that clearly would have been against regulations at any of those academies.  She caught Annie's wide-eyed stare gazing on her a little too long.  Her eyes narrowed as she smiled.  After a pause that might have been nervousness, she walked slowly over to where Annie was sitting, a tankard of cider in her hand.

Annie had already looked away, concerned to have caught the girl's attention, but nevertheless, she sat down next to her.  "Hmmm....those eyes.  You remind me of a girl I knew in school.  She might have been the second-smartest in the academy," Jessica giggled as she said this last part.  When Annie didn't speak up immediately, she continued.  "Of course, she never got the recognition she deserved.  Those popular girls weren't half as smart, but they sure knew how to make the school personnel like them better.  They made the poor girl's life miserable."
Myds6
Myds6

http://myds6.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mara Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Annie gave her new-found tablemate a hesitant smile, unsure as to why she'd come to join her in the first place. While not exactly a stranger to animated conversation, Annie wasn't used to being caught staring at passersby, let alone being approached by someone she'd been looking at. The mousy girl mumbled a polite "Hello" before taking an awkward sip from her fruity cocktail. Having expected a reprimand, Annie was caught off guard when the conversation turned out to be about her eyes, and who she reminded this lady of.

"That must've been tough for her." Annie murmured, not knowing what else to say. It sounded like she was being complimented; like she was being told she looked smart. She certainly appreciated it, if that's what this was, but what kept her from glowing with pride was that she still wasn't sure what this was.

"I'm Annie. Annie Everest. It's nice to meet you." she smile, more confidently, deciding to take the initiative. She didn't attempt to pry a name out of the mage, since she was certain one was on its way. Instead, she moved right into the apology. It was only right, after all.

"Sorry for staring, by the way. I didn't mean anything by it." Annie said, curious eyes deliberately avoiding her tablemate's now that they'd been not-so-covertly complimented. She still wasn't entirely used to that, at least when it came to such a direct comment.

"I just noticed your robes. You were a student of the Pyromancer's Academy? I visited, once, maybe...seven years ago? What was it like, studying there?" Annie asked, wide, brown eyes aglow with interest. It seemed as though she'd already forgotten her faux-pas, and had immediately returned to her quest for knowledge.

Big Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:04 am

Jessica nodded, remembering her manners. "Jessica. I'm Jessica--" her voice trailed off as if she meant to say a last name but thought better of it, or remembered she'd nearly forgotten it.

"Well, one would think it would be great, with all the books, and classes, and magic. But there are a bunch of mean, stupid girls who ruin it for the rest. They are more interested in making those in charge like them, and humiliating anyone they don't like, than actually learning. And it works for them. That's why I live here now, at least until something better comes along. And no need to apologize. I'm sure you stare at things that interest you. The way your eyes take in the world, that's how you remind me of Josie. I almost feel bad for leaving her there, in that environment. But she was much too good to run away, and she'll make a great professional pyromancer in a few years, if all the pranks and rudeness don't drive her mad or those brats don't wedgie her to death. I hope I didn't startle you...the only things that have reminded me of the school lately...or rather people, who reminded me of the school, were bad memories up until now. You just reminded me of who was good there. And there'd have to be some good memories, wouldn't there? If you spend most of your childhood in a place, there has to be something you can think of fondly, right?" Annie noticed a quaver in her voice, as if she were trying to convince herself of something.

"So, tell me what brought you to the academy? Or here? Do I detect a little bit of an accent telling me you're not from Enferia? But I can't place it... What do you do? Or, if I'm bothering you, I can leave you alone."
Myds6
Myds6

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mara Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:42 am

"Nice to meet you, Jessica." Annie smiled politely, taking a small sip from her fruity cocktail.  The pyromancer's abrupt pause was not lost on her, but she chose to keep quiet for the time being.  It did, however, spark Annie's abundant curiosity, as most things did.

What could she have been about to say?  A family name, most probably, but why had she stopped?  Maybe her name was considered infamous around those parts, or perhaps she was secretly an escaped noble, looking to seek out a fortune of experience, rather than one of gold and silver.  At least a dozen scenarios played out in Annie's head, each one more and more hopeful that the lady sitting across from her would turn out to be a veritable cornucopia of intrigue and excitement.  She listened to every word Jessica said, of course, carefully piecing together how each sparse detail might fit into the greater picture.  To Jessica, the mousy girl sitting across from her would indeed appear to be an excellent listener, her wide, curious eyes fixated on her face, nodding or frowning at all the right details.  When the details of Josie's tormentors came out, she even cocked a particularly emotive eyebrow.

"I'm sure she'll be alright.  There are always some nasty people in any academy, and anyone who excels is bound to get targeted sometimes." Annie said, obviously voicing some experience.  "I had to go through some of that, too, back when I was still in school.  Can't say I've ever gotten a wedgie, though, thank goodness." Annie giggled lightheartedly.

"But, um, thank you." the mousy girl's smile was tinged with sheepishness as Jessica once again complimented her eyes.  They weren't that remarkable, were they?  Not that she was complaining, of course.  "Oh, right, the academy.  I visited there for a little while back when I was thirteen.  You're right that I'm not from here, though.  My mother is actually a great explorer and inventor.  She, my sisters and have spent most of our lives traveling around the world, learning all we can from each place we visit, so back when I was thirteen, my sisters and I studying for a couple weeks at the pyromancer academy.  One of my sisters, Olivia, is a sorceress in her own right, but the rest of us were just there to study some theory and principles of pyromancy.  It's fascinating stuff, I think.  My mother also regularly excavates ancient magical ruins, searching for lost knowledge and any surviving artifacts from the world's past.  I've done it a few times, myself, but the reason I'm here in Enferia is actually so I can try and follow in my mother's footsteps more directly, without needing to rely on her help.  You wouldn't believe how many amazing things you can find out just by digging a little; figuratively and literally speaking, of course."

Annie's deep brown eyes positively lit up as she spoke about her passion, quite obviously not feeling bothered by Jessica's questioning.

"So, what do you do, Jessica?  Now that you're here and not in the academy any more, I mean.  I'm sure a skilled pyromancer must be in high demand." the mousy girl inquired, her eager curiosity tinging her every word.

Big Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

"That's a funny question, right now," Jessica responded, after a pause.  "I left the academy before finishing because, although I was good at my studies, some of the other students were intolerable.  And they had a way of ingratiating themselves to the administrator so I was always the black sheep.  Mostly, I ran as far away as I could get, until I wound up here.  The streets are mean here, even for someone who can conjure fire at will.  It's hard to properly protect yourself when you have to sleep in the open.  So, when I found out about Enferia's arena, I thought I'd try it.  I figured I'd be great at it, and I was.  I won my first bout while not even losing my dress.  So, that's how I support myself.  It seemed like it would all work out, but then that stupid Abigail and Headmistress Lawson came looking for me, to drag me back."
Myds6
Myds6

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mara Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:58 pm

"Oh, you've fought in the arena, t- ....?" Annie inquired, only to let her sentence trail off conspicuously. Talking openly about her time in the arena was...not something she looked forward to.

All she could really do was turn her last half-word into the end of a sentence, so the result was a very elongated noise of hopeful curiosity; hope that Jessica wouldn't have noticed that she'd nearly said "too", that is.

"S-So, um, some people from the academy came to try and take you back there? How did you get away from them? And supporting yourself by fighting in the arena full-time must be...interesting." the mousy girl said, fidgeting nervously with the hem of her silk blouse, hoping Jessica hadn't seen her match the previous afternoon.

Big Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:13 pm

Jessica smiled in a way that suggested she might have caught something from the pause--it was a knowing smile, but for now, at least, she graciously took the bait to steer the conversation elsewhere.

"Yes, they confronted me in here, and tried to subdue me.  I was able to beat that kiss-ass Abigail, but then, the headmistress caught me.  Things were about to go very bad for me, when my knight-in-shining-armor, or rather mage-in-shiny-garments showed up, and helped me put her in her place."

((Also, when you get a chance, don't be afraid to have Annie move at the Sylvan crown party...for now, she's free to mingle, but that could change, given her disguise! I'll be posting more over there, tonight.))
Myds6
Myds6

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mara Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:27 pm

"I can't believe the two of them would bother following you all the way here. The pyromancy academy isn't exactly within short walking distance." Annie frowned, pondering what might have brought about such...dedication to bringing Jessica home. Could it have been something she'd done before she left? Or were Abigail and the headmistress really so spiteful?

"Who was it that saved you, though? This mage in shiny garments of yours. Is she an arena celebrity?" Annie smiled, curious as ever. "I wouldn't have seen the match, since I've really only been in town about a week. Besides, I don't really...go to the arena often." the mousy girl admitted, still hoping she wasn't in the presence of any of her match's spectators.

Big Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:10 pm

"Well, I might have ruined the commencement ceremony a little. But I didn't do it on purpose...at first. I was having a nervous reaction, and sometimes my magic works a little funny when I'm nervous. But once they started taunting me...well...I embraced it, unleashed it, and got out of there...terrible place, I wanted never to look back.

So they came for me. And like I said, I was doing alright for a while, then things took a bad turn. The mage's name is Irlana, she hasn't beena round ehre too long either...we live together in a room upstairs for the time being. She's well-travelled, cultured...from the distant colonies of Almerida...but I guess she ended up in 'the motherland' as they call it there, and ended up apprenticed to a wizard...she's been travelling the world since then. I convinced here to stay here a bit longer. She might be down soon--she wanted to stay in bed a bit longer after..." Jessica's eyes revealed she decided after what should probably be kept private, but they also betrayed a happy glow. After a brief pause, continued, cocking one eyebrow of her happy expression, "ummm...she should come downstairs soon... So, tell me a bit more about the literal digging, or the figurative kind."
Myds6
Myds6

Back to top Go down

Post by cerindclvr Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:59 am

Halia was nearby, head ducked low, sitting in a corner of the tavern. She wasn't exactly sulking, she was merely a little less observant and a lot more inebriated than usual. Halia's fans certainly didn't mind her losing -- seeing her win was just about as enjoyable to them as seeing her lose. Apparently, earlier, said fans had attempted to ply her with drinks, resulting in several empty mugs on her table. Her green hood was pulled over her pigtails, and her fair-skinned cheeks were showing a good bit of blush beneath the shadows her cloak cast over her face. She leaned her elbows on the table, and took a deep swig from her mug. Her knees pressed together beneath the wooden surface upon which she was leaning, her thighs still showing a good bit from the side, and she found a hand resting rather firmly in her lap.

She blinked a little and realized she had almost idly started fondling herself. Her recent loss against the inventor in the arena had somewhat satisfied her, but it still left her wanting more, so to speak. She blinked a little and smoothed out the skirt of her tunic, looking around some finally and wondering if she should refill her mug. With a sigh, she leaned back in her booth and generally seemed despondent. Would she ever have the chance to... have a go at the Arcanopath again? Maybe she'd have to seek her out...
cerindclvr
cerindclvr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mara Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm

((I'll post in here and the Sylvan Crown later today, guys. Sorry for the delays.))

Big Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cerindclvr Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:02 pm

(( ditto! ))
cerindclvr
cerindclvr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mara Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:53 pm

"Oh, well, where do I start?" Annie mused, eyes lighting up with eager excitement, as if she'd been waiting for Jessica to ask this very question. Given how little time it wound up taking her to come up with a good starting point, that could very well have been the case.

"Well, my mother is Abigail Everest, the famous explorer, cartographer, and inventor. My sisters and I have traveled with her all across the continent since I was quite young, so I've gotten to see a lot of really amazing places." Annie began, modest chest puffing up with a smidge of pride.

"Most people would just stop in, document any artifacts or unusual carvings or what have you, but we..." the mousy girl paused for dramatic effect, and so she might lean over the table to put her face just a bit closer to Jessica's; which was still most of a table away, but still.

"We would make an adventure out of it! Out of all of them!" Annie murmured conspiratorially, as if the very mention of her family's scholarly romps might be ancient, forbidden knowledge all its own. Despite her quiet showmanship, however, Annie beamed with fond satisfaction at the memory of her mother leading them back into the annals of history.

"We've explored tombs, climbed into the mountains to poke around in some old temples, swam to the bottom of a lake to get inside a secret passage into an underground library, and there was even this one time where we found old artificer's factory full of clockwork machines!! And some of them even sort of worked, once we fixed them up a bit!!" Annie boasted, her typical, mousy shyness momentarily subverted. It was during this time that her voice raised in pitch enough for those sitting nearby to eavesdrop, should they care to. She didn't care, though.

"Actually, that's what I did, more than anything; fix things up, I mean. I'm good with my hands, and I've always loved working with weird devices, so when we found that workshop, I actually took some of the machines back with us, and I used them to make some new inventions of my own!!" Annie said, still beaming with self satisfaction.

"It's a pack you can wear, just like any regular one, but it can store all my tools and measuring devices inside it. Plus, it's fitted with a bunch of mechanical arms for grabbing, working on multiple projects at once, or even combat, if necessary. The arms are pretty sturdy, and they're strong, too; stronger than I am by quite a bit, at least." the mousy inventor grinned, stopping only to sip on her fruity drink once more.

"Anyway, where was I? Oh, right, traveling with my mother and sisters. Anyway, a few months ago, I decided to try my hand at doing all this one my own for a bit. I had my pack, and I'd already done well with my mother and elder sisters helping me out, so I thought I'd have no problems. But, well, I don't have much money right now, and I'll need a crew of my own if I'm ever going to try exploring any of the sites around here. Enferia's got a lot more magic and just...weird stuff in it, so who knows what any of the old tombs or wizards' ateliers might have in them. So, I kind of...tried fighting in the arena yesterday, since I thought maybe Queen Syndra would agree to fund my research if I won." Annie admitted, suddenly much more sheepish.

"I did win, but, um..." the mousy girl blushed, fidgeting her feet underneath the table. "Let's just say I...well, something came up, and I really had to get out of the arena quickly, after I'd won. So I didn't...exactly get a chance to formally ask Her Grace for my funding. I'm not really sure where that leaves me right now, but...yeah." she finished, still obviously feeling awkward about whatever had transpired.

Big Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:38 am

Jessica smiled and listened to Annie's story. It was exciting, even if there were extended moments of shameless self-promotion. "If you ever think a pyromancer would come in handy in your explorations, feel free to contact me. It sounds very exciting. But what could have come up that was so much more important than your chance to speak with the queen. I know when I won my first bout, my petition was the first thing. I only got about half what I asked for, though. I wanted her to take it easy on my opponent, give her a second chance. That's the part I didn't get. But, I digress, what could be more important?"

At the same time, Irlana came down the stairs from the rooms above the tavern. Her hair was a bit disheveled, and she had a wide smile on her face, but her eyes still looked a bit sleepy. She looked in the place she usually sat with Jessica, surprised not to find her there, so she wandered through the crowd looking for her. "She couldn't have gone far," she said under her breath. Then she noticed the small, hooded, figure surrounded by empty mugs, looking nearly passed out. From the looks of her body language, drunk and slumped back despondently, she seemed like she could use a friend. From the looks of the coarse man ogling her from the nearby table, just waiting for her to fully lose consciousness, she looked like she could use a very tough friend. She ambled up to the table, shooting a threatening glance at the coarse man, and plopped herself down in front of the figure, playfully pulling the hood back a little to reveal the face underneath. "Hiding from someone?" she giggled.
Myds6
Myds6

Back to top Go down

Post by cerindclvr Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:14 am

The half elf girl sipped occasionally and without much energy, taking heavy sighs at regular intervals and shifting about in her seat. Just when she was about to make the decision to get up and leave, her pointed ears perked up beneath her cloak and her eyes widened just a tic. That voice... it was unmistakable. How long had the inventor been here? Her heart raced, and she found herself sitting upright, clutching the large mug of dark ale in front of her. How to proceed next..?
She started slightly when the playful woman sat across from her and pulled back her hood. Blinking a little, she gave a sheepish little grin of pearly white teeth.

"Hiding? Ah, no. Of course not. I mean, it's not out of the question..." she began to correct herself before looking around almost conspiratorially. Biting her lower lip wistfully, she did indeed catch a glance of the intrepid explorer over her shoulder before she turned back and finished her drink in one long series of chugs. Who was that woman she was talking to?

Exhaling, with drunken ruddy cheeks, she looked back at the exotic woman before her. Ponderously, she pursed her lips again and wiggled her empty mug.

"Hiya, by the way, I'm Halia," she said with a cute reservedness that was more or less unlike her. "Come to offer me a drink, by chance?" she said, affecting that wide sheepish grin of hers again.
cerindclvr
cerindclvr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:33 pm

The tall mage smirked, "Pleased to meet you Halia, I'm Irlana...the magnificent. I came down looking for my partner...that cutie in red robes over there....but you seemed a bit inebriated, and like you could use some help." Irlana gestured with her eyes toward the coarse man, who still hadn't gone away, but was starting to look agitated that someone was interfering with Halia's drinking; he was waiting for her to pass out. "I'll tell you what," Irlana continued in her unusual accent, "come over and join us, and we'll each buy you a drink."
Myds6
Myds6

Back to top Go down

Post by cerindclvr Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:03 pm

"I have a better idea," purred a sultry voice that seemed to come out of nowhere. Irlana felt an arm slide around her waist and under her breast, a very friendly gesture that nearly ended with this person cupping her chest. The warm body that had pulled up next to Irlana was scantily clad in greying threads that somehow comprised a dress. Whether or not Irlana recognized Christie was uncertain; she no doubt felt the magnetism and power emanating from her.

"Pardon the intrusion, and your suggestion is actually a quite good one, but I was hoping for a private word with you, Miss Magnificent..? Call me an admirer of your art, with so many ...questions for you. Let the little bird go play with the little mouse," she gestured dismissively towards the wide-eyed Halia, clutching her empty mug and blinking occasionally in disbelief. Eventually, the half elf pointed a finger as if to ask "me?"

With a hand still very casually caressing Irlana's side, Christie slid around her until she was almost to her front.

"I for one, have no drink, and it appears the little bird is already deep into her cups. So, indulge me, if you would..?" the witch said, grinning with a wicked sweetness. Halia was taking this opportunity to indeed sneak on over towards where she'd heard Annie talking, to peek over a booth in her direction. Christie glanced very briefly at the shady fellow watching them, and her eyes narrowed into slits for just a second. The man stood up very suddenly and began to leave in a stumbling hurry.

"You have much more tact than I do, methinks," Christie whispered with a little giggle when she became self aware of the dangerous look she'd just given the coarse man. "You may call me Christie."
cerindclvr
cerindclvr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myds6 Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:09 pm

((With the new thread going on, I think I want to motivate...light a fire under Christie's butt, so to speak. So this torpedo isn't trying to sink the thread, but give these two some 'history' in the arena. You know how I love the character drama,))

Irlana smiled tactfully..."A tempting offer, to be sure, but I came down here to have a look for my...oh, there she is!" Irlana brushed by Christie, walking up behind Jessica and embracing her, leaving the witch somewhat irked.
Myds6
Myds6

Back to top Go down

Post by cerindclvr Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:59 pm

((O_O
This works lol))
cerindclvr
cerindclvr
Admin

Back to top Go down